Rich in natural resources, French Ardennes department is conducive to a diversified and quality agriculture. Major names in agribusiness are present.
A dynamic sector, the agriculture of French Ardennes is now moving towards the bioeconomy, in connection with the competitiveness cluster.
Key figures in the agriculture and agri-food industry
- 3 810 sites
- 9 804 jobs
- 1 510 billion EUR revenue
Get into French Ardennes
3,000 farms with 2/3 for livestock and 30% for field crops. High export share for production of:
- Meat: 18,000 tons of beef produced per year from 2 slaughterhouses
- Milk: 268 million litres produced per year. Quality resources stable all year
- 130,000 hectares of permanent grassland valued for quality livestock farming
- 7,800 hectares of alfalfa
- 112,000 hectares of grain
- 24,000 hectares of oilseed
- 10,000 hectares of beetroot
Emergence of organic farming: around 180 certified exploitations, doubling in number since 2010.
French Ardennes supplies numerous players in agribusiness industry, such as for example sugar producer Cristal Union.
2 PGI (Protected Geographical Indication):
- Boudin Blanc de Rethel
- Jambon sec et Noix de jambon sec des Ardennes
- Mondelez France Biscuits Production: production of LULU biscuits, created in French Ardennes in 1963
- Nestlé France SAS: production of powdered milf for Dolce Gusto capsules
- Canelia (Lactalis): powdered milk manufacturer
- Cristaline: spring water from ROXANE group
- Luzeal: protein concentrate manufacturer
- Presence of major grain industry players: Vivescia and CAJ
In association with:
- IAR competitiveness cluster: world player research and innovation for industrial development of agricultural resources (from agri-food industry to agricultural resources via bio energy and molecules)
- Terrasolis: innovation platform for agribusiness production